There is a website and hashtag circulating this holiday season to encourage consumers to shop #AnywhereButTARGET. Hayden’s List feels differently. We believe in supporting companies that support us, the LGBTQ community. Here’s why Target deserves our support:
– In 2014 Target joined several other national companies to sign on to an amicus brief in support of marriage equality. The brief evaluated the issues created by states that both prohibited marriage equality and those that refused to recognize marriages that were conducted legally in other states.
– Long before they were legally required to do so, Target offered comprehensive, competitive benefits to their LGBTQ team members and their families.
– In June 2015, Target shared their #TakePride philosophy and celebrated Pride Month with volunteerism, sponsored events and a new merchandise collection.
– In August 2015, Target introduced, to much criticism, gender neutral signs for children’s bedding and children’s toys
– Target was recognized by the Human Rights Campaign as one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality, earning a score of 100 on the 2016 Corporate Equality Index.
– Target announced in April 2016 the support of Federal Equality Act, which provides protections to LGBTQ individuals, and opposes action that enables discrimination.
– Target welcomes transgender team members and guests to use the restroom or fitting room facility that corresponds with their gender identity.
This holiday season, please support those businesses that support us. Check out the retail section of your city on Hayden’s List. Spread some joy by helping a community member find a LGBTQ friendly or not so friendly store by leaving a review here.Tags: holidays, LGBT, LGBT friendly, LGBTQ, LGBTQ Friendly, Retail, shopping, Target